|Box / Folder||CHG01|
|Folder Scope & Content||Cantor Henri Goldberg Collection|
|Collection||Cantor Henri Goldberg Collection|
|Collection Location||Special Collections & University Archives|
|Dates of Accumulation|
(CHG) Cantor Henri Goldberg Collection - In July 2003 Cantor Goldberg's papers were given to David Amos by the Cantor's wife, Molly Goldberg. David Amos gave them to Mollie Harris, JCC librarian. The Library Committee gave them to the JHSSD. The sheet music Collection was kept by the Astor Judaica Library. Included in the collection are papers and scrapbook donated by Sylvia Arden in October 2004 regarding the 54th St. JCC Music Committee and Cantor Henri Goldberg.
Born in 1892, Cantor Goldberg received his music education at Stern's Conservatory in Berlin, under the direction of Professor Gustav Hollaender. He was director of the Detroit Jewish Folk Chorus for 15 years, performing with guest artists such as Alexander Kipnis and Regina Resnik . Simultaneously, he was choir director for the largest Conservative Congregation in Detroit, Sharey Zedek , music teacher at various Jewish schools and choirmaster of several secular choirs in nearby cities. In 1959 he was appointed cantor and choir director for Temple Isaiah in Lafayette, California. In 1963 in San Diego he was cantor for the brief life of Temple Solel, a breakaway congregation from Congregation Beth Israel and cantor after its merger back into Beth Israel in 1968. He also held positions at Tifereth Israel Synagogue and Beth Tefilah Congregation in the 1970's. He directed the Jewish Community Center Choir at the 54th St. Jewish Community Center during the 1960's. He was also an avid fisherman.
The contents of the collection consists of correspondence, writings, poems, sermons, autobiographical information regarding his career as a cantor and materials from the JCC choir including scrapbook contents, copies of newspaper clippings, programs and photographs, copies of lectures and services, songbooks and musical plays. The collection also includes reel to reel tapes of services and concerts at the JCC and at the various congregations where he officiated. Fourteen of these tapes have been transferred onto CD's and are included with this collection.