Museum logo

Archive Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Box / Folder MOS01
Folder Scope & Content Cottage of Israel - Scrapbooks Contents
Collection Morris Showel Collection
Collection Location Special Collections & University Archives
Series Papers, Scrapbook
Dates of Creation 1948-1995
Dates of Accumulation
Description (MOS) - Morris Showel Collection - Accession # 1998.01

Contents of scrapbooks from the Cottage of Israel in Balboa Park, 8 of which were donated by the Menakers in 2003

Announcements, programs, photographs, news articles, cards, notices, PR materials and other commemorative items pertaining to the Cottage of Israel at Balboa Park arranged by year and extracted from several scrapbooks.

The House of Israel, formerly known as the Cottage of Israel, is one of the 29 exposition cottages that make up the House of Pacific Relations located in Balboa Park, San Diego, California. The House of Pacific Relations came into existence in 1935 as an expression of the vision of the late Frank Druggan, following the California Pacific International Exposition of which he was president. Through the House of Pacific Relations, Druggan hoped to promote an exchange of values and understanding among peoples of diverse national and ethnic origins.

At the close of the 1935 Exposition, a group of small buildings were declared superfluous. These structures were leased by the House of Pacific Relations and sub-leased to the various national and ethnic groups. Each group, by displaying in these structures its cultural and ethnic exhibits to the public, and by working with one another to promote their common objectives have been very successful. These groups by working together in a harmonious and friendly atmosphere demonstrate how national entities are making unique contributions and enriching the social pattern of American life.

At the inception of the modern state of Israel, Dr. Abraham Nasatir of San Diego State University, made application for a Cottage of Israel to the House of Pacific Relations, which was approved. The Cottage of Israel was opened to the public in August of 1948 - three months after the establishment of the modern state.

The operation of the Cottage of Israel was directed by a Board elected at an annual meeting by the general membership. Membership was open to anyone interested in Israel. The Cottage, which still exists today, has many permanent displays, both historical and religious, donated by people from their private collections.